Skip Nav

Cohort Query, VSA & SAM

Voluntary System of Accountability (VSA) College Portrait and StudentTracker

A·P·L·U and AASCU have created the College Portrait - a web reporting template that communicates information on the undergraduate student experience to the public. In order to help our participating institutions complete the "Undergraduate Success and Progress Rate" table on the College Portrait, the Clearinghouse has added a cohort query that provides institutions with a summary enrollment and retention table.

Student Achievement Measure (SAM) and StudentTracker

The Student Achievement Measure (SAM) Project is a joint initiative of the six national higher education presidential associations: the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC), the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU), the American Council on Education (ACE), the Association of American Universities (AAU), the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), and the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU). The Clearinghouse has updated its cohort query output to provide institutions with the additional tables related to SAM.

You must participate in our Enrollment Reporting, DegreeVerify and StudentTracker services to produce the StudentTracker VSA/SAM report.

For more information, see our Cohort Query Guide and sample cohort query report.

For information regarding VSA College Portrait, visit and

For information regarding Student Achievement Measure, visit

Frequently Asked Questions

Our institution has committed to the VSA and/or SAM, but does not yet participate in the Clearinghouse, who should I call?

We do not participate in the Clearinghouse, is there anything we should consider when we join?

Yes, when you join the Clearinghouse, you have a one-time opportunity to submit historical enrollment files. Once your institution is active, we cannot add historical records to the active system. As you prepare to go live with your Enrollment Reporting service (aka, Core), make sure you consider how far back your data needs to go to produce a complete outcomes table.

We participate in Enrollment Reporting and StudentTracker, but not DegreeVerify. Why isn't that enough for the outcomes table?

One of the key precepts of the Clearinghouse's partnership with our participating institutions is that you must share your enrollment and degree information in order to receive the same data from other participating institutions. This ensures that all schools are treated equally. Therefore, in order to receive degree information in your StudentTracker file, you must provide your data to us.

Our state system office handles this type of reporting for us. Can they create the table through the Clearinghouse?

Yes, if your system office has a StudentTracker agreement with the Clearinghouse and your school participates in our Enrollment Reporting (aka, Core) and DegreeVerify services, your system office can submit these requests on your behalf. System accounts do not currently have the ability to submit this query type through their own accounts for the entire system. However, they can submit the data on behalf of each school.

We recently joined the Clearinghouse, but did not submit historical enrollment files. Can we send them now?

No, unfortunately. Because the Clearinghouse uses a live reporting system, the nuances of adding historical files are extensive. If you did not submit historical enrollment files to the Clearinghouse, you should consider the following:

  • If your institution has participated with the Clearinghouse long enough to get the four-year retention rate (i.e., Fall 2004 for the Fall 2000 freshmen cohort), then the data you need for the VSA College Portrait will be available.
  • If your institution began its Enrollment Reporting service (aka, Core) more recently, you will need to contact a VSA official about options for creating your local retention rates internally until you have sufficient historical data to use the StudentTracker tool. The Clearinghouse can still produce the transfer retention and completion rates for you.

I am a researcher and have questions about the Clearinghouse's role in the VSA and/or SAM, who should I contact?

If you have specific research questions, please contact the Clearinghouse's Research Manager, Jason DeWitt.

Who should I contact for more information about the VSA?

Please contact the VSA executive director, Christine Keller, or visit

Who should I contact for more information about SAM?

Please contact the Student Achievement Measure Executive Director at or visit


For inquiries from educational institutions only, contact your Clearinghouse relationship manager below. All others, contact 703-742-4200 or

Name Phone Fax States
Nancy Penna 703-742-4869 630-534-4919 AR, IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, ND, NE, SD, WI
Alina Gomez 305-458-9211 305-774-6173 PR
Robert Haushalter 703-742-4800 703-742-4236 For-profit corporate offices and campuses
Phillip Spitz 703-742-4851   CA, OR
David Lynch 703-742-4852 302-384-6711 CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT
Joe Roof 386-740-0146 386-740-0231 FL, GA, TX
Sue Ledwell 571-271-2787   AAU member institutions
Dannette Sullivan 206-324-3228 206-328-7366 AK, AZ, CO, HI, ID, KS, MT, NM, NV, OK, UT, WA, WY
Paul Taylor 859-363-0000 859-363-0700 AL, DC, KY, LA, MS, NC, OH, SC, TN, VA, WV